Saturday, February 21, 2015

Rebuilding front wheel Yamaha LS3

The original brake shoe plate of the front wheel had a broken cable holder that was glued together a long time ago. When I tried to take the cable adjuster out, the holder fell apart.

Old broken brake shoe plate Yamaha LS3
Old broken brake shoe plate Yamaha LS3

I could try to repair ir but I found a nice cheap NOS one on Ebay.
All the parts inside the old brake shoe plate were still in good nick, so all I had to do was take it out and fit it into the new NOS brake plate.

Speedo gear inside brake shoe plate Yamaha 100 LS3
Speedo gear inside brake shoe plate

After removing the brake shoes and brake camshaft I took a nice round spanner and carefully pried out the seal.

Removing the seal inside the brake shoe plate
Removing the seal inside the brake shoe plate

After that it was a matter of removing the circlip and you can take almost everything out.

Exploded view of parts inside brake shoe plate
Exploded view of parts inside brake shoe plate

Almost, there is one thing you need a special tool for and that's the speedo gear. It's screwed deep inside the brake plate and you cannot remove it with a screwdriver or "normal"socket.

Gear speedo meter Yamaha LS3
Gear speedo meter Yamaha LS3

As I didn't have the "special" Yamaha tool I made one myself. A 32/17 socket fits perfectly in the opening, so I took one from an elcheapo set I had lying around, took some measurements, put it in the vice and shaped it so it would fit in the gear's bushing.

Tool to remove speedo gear inside brake plate
Tool to remove speedo gear inside brake plate

Another exploded view of parts inside brake shoe plate Yamaha 100
Another exploded view of parts inside brake shoe plate
Before I put everything back in the new brake shoe plate I gave it, and the rest of the hub, a nice good buff.

Polished hub and brake shoe plate Yamaha LS3 1972
Polished hub and brake shoe plate Yamaha LS3

Greasing the speedo gear
Greasing the speedo gear

Speedo parts back in place
Speedo parts back in place

Hub front wheel Yamaha LS3
Hub front wheel Yamaha LS3

Time for some lacing. See for how to:
http://yamaha-ls3.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/rebuilding-and-lacing-wheels.html

Spokes and hub front wheel Yamaha
Spokes and hub front wheel

With the new rim and spokes the shaft and metal dust cover looked really dull and tired so cleaned them and gave 'm a new shiny coat of nickel.

Nickel plated shaft and dust cover front wheel Yamaha LS3
Nickel plated shaft and dust cover front wheel Yamaha LS3

Front wheel and shaft Yamaha LS3
Front wheel and shaft Yamaha LS3

Front wheel and shaft Yamaha LS3
Front wheel and shaft Yamaha LS3

Rebuild Front wheel Yamaha LS3
Rebuild Front wheel Yamaha LS3

Rebuild Front wheel Yamaha LS3 100cc
Rebuild Front wheel Yamaha LS3

3 comments:

  1. Hello

    I am restoring a LS2 and are rebuilding the front wheel. I shall replace the meter gear and drive and the bush. I realy worked hard to get out the old bush after making myself the special tool needed.

    But the new gear and drive just seem to be to tight. I have realy trouble to get it to fit togheter. It looks like it is a mm to wide or something. All new parts are genuine Yamaha LS2. Do you have som tips for getting it togheter?

    Best regards
    Petter Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mate, sorry for the late response. I'm not really sure what's going wrong. Was the old gear worn out? If it's all original it should fit,maybe your front wheel is of another model? Let me know if you've already fixed it or not. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to say. I bought yet another gear on ebay. Not genuine part that actually fit. I also actually bought a new orginal hub plate, but the original gear part did not fit in that one either. Very strange.
    Actually I can use the not original gear against the new genuine drive...

    ReplyDelete